Friday, March 04, 2011

Finished


Just finished my first knitting project. I took a beginner knitting class in that cosy little shop in Statford. Then I proceeded on my own, only to rip out my shoddy work at least 5 times. This is a simple asymmetrical cowl collar in the seed stitch. For me this very simple odd number knit/purl pattern was a challenge. I had to concentrate and for some odd reason I would go from the required 39 stiches ending up with 42 at times, yikes, it throws the whole thing off! So I would tear out again and start fresh.

Believe it or not I actually found this quite relaxing!

3 comments:

  1. I was with a friend last weekend who teaches highschool, a difficult class this year, and who has family coming to visit. She's in a sewing club and decided to make some summery beach-bags for each visitor and fill the bags with goodies. She said she found the fabric and laid out a pattern and cut it, then sat at the sewing machine and as the needle thump-thumped its way through the cloth she realized that she was, for that moment, entirely happy and even as she told the story she glowed. Maybe, in making something from scratch no matter how challenging, when delight exceeds difficulty, we are only happy, nothing else. Perhaps that's why you found the knitting relaxing. Congratulations, Karen! -- Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan for sharing that lovely story about your friend. There is just something so wonderful about learning new things. Sometimes when I wonder why I didn't do something sooner/younger I realize that how wonderful it is to explore when you are of a "certain"age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job Karen! I still have a neon(!)green scarf that I knit for Christopher that Evan wears now. I made the scarf so I could practise different knit stitches. I have an excellent book that I loved when I started knitting. I found it in the library then wound up buying it because I just had to have it always! Anways, it's called The Harmony Guide to knitting by Debra Mountford. I also have a very popular book called Stitch N Bitch by Debbie Stoller. Its funny but informative too! My sister wants me to knit a bunch of dog sweaters for her rescue dog booth at WoofStock this year. I havent knit for ages! Cross yer needles I can make enough. K.. blab over! Cheers for now Karen!

    ReplyDelete