Friday, December 02, 2011

Iris Study

This iris was painted from a photo that I took last summer. I actually painted 2 different versions, one a small 8 x 8 inches with lots of detail. Still have a little more work to do on the background which ended up being more challenging than the detail work.

The photo above is the painting that I enjoyed most of all. 12 x 18 inches, loose style, more of a study, monochromatic. Fun! I just used 2 colours Ultramarine and Alizarin Crimson, both Winsor and Newton Artist Colours. Enjoyed the mixing, getting different shades and strengths of blues and purples.

Will post  photo of the "other" painting when finished. In the meantime off to the framers for this one!