Monday, April 26, 2010

Hemingway and Wine



This morning I finshed A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway.  I quite enjoyed this book, who cannot enjoy the romance of Paris in the 20's. I love his spare witing style, his use of dialogue, his moodiness and his love of food and drink.

His thoughts on wine:

"In Europe then we thought of wine as something as healthy and normal as food and also as a great giver of happiness and well being and delight. Drinking wine was not a snobbism nor a sign of sophistication nor a cult; it was as natural as eating and to me as necessary, and I would not have thought of eating a meal without drinking either wine or cider or beer."

Of course I do not drink wine every time I eat a meal but if I was a writer in Paris in 1920 I most certainly would have...sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment