Monday, September 07, 2009

Labour Day


When I had children at home I had a love/hate relationship with labour day. I was always sad to see them head back to school after lots of family time all summer, slower pace, holidays, picnics, beach time etc. On the other hand it was fun to send them off with expectations in new clothes carrying a new bag with new pencils and books inside.

Now that it is just the two of us I still feel strange when labour day arrives...the end of summer...sad...feel that I need to start something new, almost like a New Years resolution...make improvements of some kind. This Sept I think I will take a breather,sit back and just be and not worry about improving anything unless the mood strikes but I will not try to force it.

4 comments:

  1. With kids long gone I no longer feel lost in September, as I did when they first left and I would still go out and buy new markers and fresh notebooks and a box of crayola crayons. Except that there are fewer tourists on the Cabot Trail, September is no longer "new years" though I know that feeling exactly. -- Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan I can't help but wonder how it feels on the Cabot Trail when mmost of the tourists are gone. Is it sad or is it a relief? Here in Stratford the summer is very busy with tourists, the festival season ends around the beginning of November and then it becomes very quiet especially in the new year when it becomes very very quiet. I do enjoy the empty streets for a while but I am happy when tourists arrive again in the spring. It seems to bring life to this small city.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a relief, Karen. So blessedly quiet, though there is construction on the trail so there are many trucks. Even my friends who run businesses are getting tired by this time of year. And of course I get to see more of them as their schedules change and their lives are a little less hectic. The Trail is very pretty these days. Hardly a hint of fall in our leaves, still lush and green despite almost perfect clear weather day after day. On another note, did you see Cyrano this summer? Was it well done? I think it is one of my favourite plays. -- Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan I have not seen Cyrano yet. The only play I have seen so far is West Side Story which I enjoyed very much...lots of energy, great song and dance. I do hope to get to few more now that the season is getting more quiet. I want to tell you that I was reading a review of your book The Checkout Girl and have forwarded that to my good friend who works with St Mary's Public Library hoping that she will consider purchasing it for the library.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete