Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Elegance of the Hedgehog


Recently I had the joy of reading this marvelous book The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery I enjoyed this novel from the first word to the last. You cannot help but love the protagonists in this book, Rene a 54 year old concierge in a small affluent Paris apartment building and Paloma a 12 year old girl who plans to commit suicide on her 13th birthday. This is a very readable philosophical book. In fact the author Muriel Barbery is a French Philosophy professor and novelist who says that she learned more from literature than from her "long boring course of studies in philosophy".

Treat yourself or a book lover you know to this great read!

2 comments:

  1. Karen; It sounds like a hard book! But if it is well written then I know it can be beautiful as well. I do hope the little-girl-becoming-a-woman does not commit suicide. I will check it out. -- Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan
    I think you would like the book, not hard really but quite thought provoking. I found I savoured it as I was reading it.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete