Friday, April 01, 2011

Getting Started


Sometimes it can just be so hard to begin a new project, especially when it involves something creative. When it comes to painting I am always full of self doubt.

 I don't know where to start...what if I make a mess of it... what if I can't do it... I don't know how to hold my brush...I don't know what colours to use...I don't even remember how to mix colour... or how much water...blah blah blah

This was me about a month or so ago, then I met with Ros who has inspired me to get started. I have had a few sessions with her to give me the boost, push and shove that I need. So I have found that I can hold my brush and actually apply paint to that pristine sheet of white paper! I have a momentum going where painting has become part of my day and it feels so good.

Last night while looking through a book on painting flowers I came accross this and loved it!  


Loose this day loitering-t'will be


The same story tomorrow-and


The next day more dilatory.


Then indicision brings its own delays


And days are lost lamenting o'er lost days.


Are you in earnest? Seize this very minute.


What can you do or dream you can do, begin it:


Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.


Only imagine, then the mind grows heated.


Begin it, then the work will be completed.


                                  GOETHE, Faust

3 comments:

  1. "What can you do or dream you can do, begin it..." What a wonderful line and I'm going to take it to heart. Thanks for this post, Karen. It's good of you to share the worry and conflict, and then the solution and triumph. -- Susan Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. A copy of Faust part I and II are on the shelf downstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan
    Thanks for reading my posts and glad you liked this one. Happy creating!

    Aaron
    I will check it out! xo

    ReplyDelete