Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Fall

It is fall and not a good time  of year for me. My mood starts to slip. Oh I know fall is very beautiful and I do love the food. I am such a sunshine, warm weather kind of person that summer always seems to have promise to me. Fall always feels like an ending, not a beginning, so I will try to work on that.

I do love the food of fall, the markets, the changing leaves etc.

 Yesterday I took my good friend Lori out to lunch at Rain Tree Cafe in Waterloo. It was fun, she had never been there, it was a mystery lunch and she really liked it. Lori just celebrated her 50th birthday on Saturday then did a 10k run on Sunday! 

We stopped at a market on the way home, such abundance!

Today I played in my kitchen, baked a beet cake, made a great pasta dish with fresh fennel and a lovely sheeps milk cheese called Pecorino Toscano which I had purchased here in Stratford at Monforte Dairy. It was all so delicious, relaxing and fun to make. I was just in that kind of mood.

The Pasta Dish


The Beet Cake


the beet that I used from our local slow food market, a candy cane beet weighing at least a pound!


2 comments:

  1. Any chance of posting the beet cake recipe? I have beets waiting in the garden, and a new beet dish -- especially one as tasty looking as your beet cake -- would be most welcome. T

    I know exactly what you mean about the fall, my darkest mood-time, my lowest energy season.

    Should have mentioned before how beautiful your blue morning glory photo is, hauntingly gorgeous.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan
    I have posted the recipe, have fun with it. Thanks for the compliment on the morning glory pic!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete