Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Passage



On our annual family camping trip I finished The Passage by Justin Cronin.

 Funny I so often remember what I read during vacations. Often it will be the type of book I do not ordinarily pick up,  some of the past were Oryx and Crake and The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood, Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill...loved that book! Many many years ago Children in the Attic by VC Andrews, this on the porch of a cabin at White Point Beach Lodge in Nova Scotia.

The Passage is a post apocolptic story, mostly about the survivers who try to survive, it is rather bleak but written very well, the kind that is hard to put down. Reminds me a little of Cormac McCarthy's The Road, Margaret Atwood's The Year of the Flood, a bit of Stephen King.



While driving into the Pinery Provincial Park I came across this view...seemed spooky and perfect in a way that expressed my feelings about The Passage.

4 comments:

  1. It is spooky, Karen, the spiky bare trees in summer, the grey-pink sky with darkness below, the grassy verge growing right into the road with it's white line curving into the distance. -- Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. I will look for this book in the library!
    I love Cormac McCarthy so MAYBE I will give this book a shot! Cheers for the great pic and review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley I can pass the book on to you, I will give it Jenny next time I see her. But I must warn you that it would not be a good read if you are already feeling a little melancholy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always melancholy! It may cheer me up! hahaha.. just joking.. I am sure I will love it and appreciate it! Thanks Karen!

    ReplyDelete